World Indoor Championships in Athletics Sopot 2014
The World Indoor Championships in Athletics (IAAF) is the second most important athletics event in the world after the Olympic Games. The World Indoor Championship will be held in Poland for the first time in IAAF’s centenary history.
This year’s championships in numbers
- 160 countries taking part in the championships
- 1,500 athletes, coaches and VIPs
- 13 track and field events both for women and men
- 140 million viewers during all TV broadcasts from the Championships
- live TV broadcasts to 87 countries, highlights in 180 countries.
- over 1.8 thousand hours of TV coverage
- each day 8 thousand fans and guests at modern ERGO ARENA venue
Poland and Sopot have joined the prestigious group of the biggest cities in the world to host IAAF World Indoor Championships, which have been organised every two years since 1995 in, e.g.: Istanbul (2012), Doha, Qatar (2010), Valencia (2008), Moscow (2006), Budapest (2004 and 1989), Birmingham, United Kingdom (2003), Lisbon (2001), Paris (1997 and 1985), Barcelona (1995), Toronto (1993), Sevilla (1991), Indianapolis, USA (1987).